As expected during Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) season, MPI releases are taking longer than usual, so please allow minimum 4-5 days for these releases to come through. As we get closer to December, we do expect this timeframe to increase, so please factor this into your planning. We ask you to send us documents as early as possible especially if your shipments are from high risk countries. MPI have also updated the approved Offshore Treatment providers list, which is available on the following link.
Potential clearance delays
Import peak season is definitely here with a few challenging weeks being experienced at Fergusson Terminal at Ports of Auckland, Metroport and also Centreport Wellington.
Some of the contributing factors to this are:
- Weather delays in New Zealand
- Limited VBS slots whilst automation testing continues at the Port of Auckland
- Vessels arriving off window which causes congestion at the terminal
- Congestion at Metroport through unplanned container arrivals for Kiwirail, which does not operate a VBS system
- Recent road closures around Auckland city for the fire
- Congestion at empty container depots
With huge demand for slots at this time of year, last minute planning is nearly impossible. There is far more availability of VBS slots
and flexibility for delivery times outside of normal office hours, so do talk to your shipping agent around this.